This isn't a Tomcat specific problem, but sounds like a problem with
how you the reader is being used.

Somewhere in the JSP a IndexReader variable was probably assigned to.
A line something like:

IndexReader ir = IndexReader.open("somepath");

To close the reader, and thus solve the problem, somewhere later, you need:

ir.close();

with the needed try/catch in place.

Again, please refrain from cross-posting...just because it happened on
Tomcat doesn't make it a Tomcat problem. This is clearly a lucene
usage problem.

Patrick