David Spencer wrote:
Doug Cutting wrote:

And one should not try correction at all for terms which occur in a large proportion of the collection.

I keep thinking over this one and I don't understand it. If a user misspells a word and the "did you mean" spelling correction algorithm determines that a frequent term is a good suggestion, why not suggest it? The very fact that it's common could mean that it's more likely that the user wanted this word (well, the heuristic here is that users frequently search for frequent terms, which is probabably wrong, but anyway..).

I think you misunderstood me. What I meant to say was that if the term the user enters is very common then spell correction may be skipped. Very common words which are similar to the term the user entered should of course be shown. But if the user's term is very common one need not even attempt to find similarly-spelled words. Is that any better?

Doug