Jason wrote:
I am having touble reindexing.

Basically what I want to do is:

1. Delete the old index
2. Write the new index.

The enviroment:
The index is search by a web app running from the Orion App Server. This
code runs fin and reindexes fine prior to any searches.  After the first
search against the index is completed the index ends up beiong read-only
( or not writeable), I cannot reindex and subsequently cannot search
because the index is incomplete.

We have several apps running like this only on Tomcat and JBoss with no problems...

1. Why doesn't IndexReader.delete(i) really delete the file. it seems to
just make anothe 1K file with a .del extension the IndexWriter still
cannot content with?

Never tried the IndexReader.delete() method, we generally build the new index in a temporary directory and when the index is done we delete the current online directory (using java.io.File methods) and then rename the temp directory to online.

2. How can I make this work?

This may be just be silly, but do you remember to close your org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher when you are done with your search?

--
Bo Gundersen
DBA/Software Developer