Bill Janssen wrote:

Thanks to Bill Tschumy, who points out that Lucene 1.4.21 *breaks* the
API exported by 1.4 by removing a parameter from
QueryParser.getFieldQuery().  That means that my
NewMultiFieldQueryParser also breaks, since it overrides that method.
To fix, just remove the Analyzer parameter from the getFieldQuery()
method in NewMultiFieldQueryParser.

More generally, how is an application developer that wants to use
Lucene supposed to deal with these kinds of things?  It's a micro
release, the change isn't noted in the CHANGES.txt file, and as far as
I can see, there are no version numbers in the jar file you could look
at during an application "configure".

Does anyone have any successful ways of dealing with these kinds of
things? The only thing I can think of is to put a specific Lucene jar
in my app source code.

what about writing a JUnit test?
It can show when the code is broken. It's not too much improvement but it can be an improvement.
I have a testcase ... for my parser .. maybe I can adapt it share the code.

Sergiu

Bill