Chuck Williams wrote:

Otis, thanks for looking at this. The stack trace of the exception is
below. I looked at the code. It wants to delete every file in the
index directory, but fails to delete the CVS subdirectory entry
(presumably because it is marked read-only; the specific exception is
swallowed). Even if it could delete the CVS subdirectory, this would
just cause another problem with Netbeans/CVS, since it wouldn't know how
to fix up the pointers in the parent CVS subdirectory. Is there a
change I could make that would cause it to safely leave this alone?

Why do you have the lucene index in CVS? From what I know the lucene index folder shouldn't contain any other folder,
just the lucene files. I think it won't be any problem to delete CVS folder from lucene index and to remove the index from CVS.
If you are affraid to do that .. you can move the CVS subfolder from lucene index into another folder ... and restore if you have any
problems. I'm sure you will have no problem ... but this is just for your trust...

Sergiu

This problem only arises on a full index (incremental == false <=>
create == true).  Incremental indexes work fine in my app.

Chuck

java.io.IOException: Cannot delete CVS
   at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.create(FSDirectory.java:144)
   at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.<init>(FSDirectory.java:128)
   at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(FSDirectory.java:102)
   at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(FSDirectory.java:83)
   at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:173)
   at [my app]...

subdirectory
> > of
> > WEB-INF, which seemed the natural place to put it. The index
files
> > themselves are not in the repository. I want to be able to do CVS
> > Update for the web module directory tree as a whole. However,
this
> > places a CVS subdirectory within the index directory, which in
turn
> > causes Lucene indexing to blow up the next time I run it since
this
> > is
> > an unexpected entry in the index directory. To make things works,
> > work around the problem I both need to delete the CVS subdirectory
> > and
> > find and delete the pointers to it in the Entries file and
Netbeans
> > cache file within the CVS subdirectory of the parent directory.
This