  From: Kevin A. Burton
  To: Lucene Users List
  Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 4:47 PM
  Subject: Lucene external field storage contribution.

  About 3 months ago I developed a external storage engine which ties into
  lucene.

  I'd like to discuss making a contribution so that this is integrated
  into a future version of Lucene.

  I'm going to paste my original PROPOSAL in this email.

  There wasn't a ton of feedback first time around but I figure squeaky
  wheel gets the grease...

  >> I created this proposal because we need this fixed at work. I want to
  >> go ahead and work on a vertical fix for our version of lucene and then
  >> submit this back to Jakarta.
  >> There seems to be a lot of interest here and I wanted to get feedback
  >> from the list before moving forward ...
  >>
  >> Should I put this in the wiki?!
  >>
  >> Kevin
  >>
  >> ** OVERVIEW **
  >>
  >> Currently Lucene supports 'stored fields; where the content of these
  >> fields are
  >> kept within the lucene index for use in the future.
  >>
  >> While acceptable for small indexes, larger amounts of stored fields
  >> prevent:
  >>
  >> - Fast index merges since the full content has to be continually merged.
  >>
  >> - Storing the indexes in memory (since a LOT of memory would be
  >> required and
  >> this is cost prohibitive)
  >>
  >> - Fast queries since block caching can't be used on the index data.
  >>
  >> For example in our current setup our index size is 20G.  Nearly 90% of
  >> this is
  >> content.  If we could store the content outside of Lucene our merges and
  >> searches would be MUCH faster.  If we could store the index in MEMORY
  >> this could
  >> be orders of magnitude faster.
  >>
  >> ** PROPOSAL **
  >>
  >> Provide an external field storage mechanism which supports legacy indexes
  >> without modification.  Content is stored in a "content segment". The only
  >> changes would be a field with 3(or 4 if checksum enabled) values.
  >>
  >> - CS_SEGMENT
  >>
  >>       Logical ID of the content segment.  This is an integer value.
  >> There is
  >>       a global Lucene property named CS_ROOT which stores all the
  >> content.
  >>       The segments are just flat files with pointers.  Segments are
  >> broken
  >>       into logical pieces by time and size.  Usually 100M of content
  >> would be
  >>       in one segment.
  >>
  >> - CS_OFFSET
  >>
  >>       The byte offset of the field.
  >>
  >> - CS_LENGTH
  >>
  >>       The length of the field.
  >>
  >> - CS_CHECKSUM
  >>
  >>       Optional checksum to verify that the content is correct when
  >> fetched
  >>       from the index.
  >>
  >> - The field value here would be exactly 'N:O:L' where N is the segment
  >> number,
  >>   O is the offset, and L is the length.  O and L are 64bit values.  N
  >> is a 32
  >>   bit value (though 64bit wouldn't really hurt).
  >>
  >> This mechanism allows for the external storage of any named field.
  >>
  >> CS_OFFSET, and CS_LENGTH allow use with RandomAccessFile and new NIO
  >> code for
  >> efficient content lookup.  (Though filehandle caching should probably
  >> be used).
  >>
  >> Since content is broken into logical 100M segments the underlying
> [...]

  get a free iPod!