hi all

 I had a similar problem with jdk1.4.1, Doug had sent me a patch which I am
attaching following is the mail from Doug

 It sounds like the ThreadLocal in TermInfosReader is not getting
correctly garbage collected when the TermInfosReader is collected.
Researching a bit, this was a bug in JVMs prior to 1.4.2, so my guess is
that you're running in an older JVM.  Is that right?

I've attached a patch which should fix this.  Please tell me if it works
for you.

Doug

Daniel Taurat wrote:
> Okay, that (1.4rc3)worked fine, too!
> Got only 257 SegmentTermEnums for 1900 objects.
>
> Now I will go for the final test on the production server with the
> 1.4rc3 version  and about 40.000 objects.
>
> Daniel
>
> Daniel Taurat schrieb:
>
>> Hi all,
>> here is some update for you:
>> I switched back to Lucene 1.3-final and now the  number of the
>> SegmentTermEnum objects is controlled by gc again:
>> it goes up to about 1000 and then it is down again to 254 after
>> indexing my 1900 test-objects.
>> Stay tuned, I will try 1.4RC3 now, the last version before FieldCache
>> was introduced...
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>> Rupinder Singh Mazara schrieb:
>>
>>> hi all
>>>  I had a similar problem, i have  database of documents with 24
>>> fields, and a average content of 7K, with  16M+ records
>>>
>>>  i had to split the jobs into slabs of 1M each and merging the
>>> resulting indexes, submissions to our job queue looked like
>>>
>>>  java -Xms100M -Xcompactexplicitgc -cp $CLASSPATH lucene.Indexer 22
>>>
>>> and i still had outofmemory exception , the solution that i created
>>> was to after every 200K, documents create a temp directory, and merge
>>> them together, this was done to do the first production run, updates
>>> are now being handled incrementally
>>>

>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>>> at

org.apache.lucene.store.RAMOutputStream.flushBuffer(RAMOutputStream.java(Com
piled
>>> Code))
>>>     at
>>> org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream.flush(OutputStream.java(Inlined
>>> Compiled Code))
>>>     at
>>> org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream.writeByte(OutputStream.java(Inlined
>>> Compiled Code))
>>>     at

org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream.writeBytes(OutputStream.java(Compiled
>>> Code))
>>>     at

org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.copyFile(CompoundFileWriter.java(
Compiled
>>> Code))
>>>     at

org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.close(CompoundFileWriter.java(Com
piled
>>> Code))
>>>     at

org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.createCompoundFile(SegmentMerger.java(
Compiled
>>> Code))
>>>     at
>>> org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java(Compiled
>>> Code))
>>>     at

org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java(Compiled