I have a servlet that instanciates a multisearcher on 6 indexes:
(du -h)
7.2G    ./0
7.2G    ./1
7.2G    ./2
7.2G    ./3
7.2G    ./4
7.2G    ./5
43G     .

I recreate the index from scratch each month based upon a 50gig zip file with
all of the 40 million documents.  I wanted to keep my indexing speed as low as
possible, without hurting search performace too much, as each searcher
allocates a certain amount of memory proportional to the number of terms it
has.  A single large index has a lot of overlap in terms, so it needs less
memory than multiple indexes.

Anyway, for indexing, I am able to index ~100 documents per second.  The total
indexing process takes 2.5 days.  I have a powerful machine with 2
hyperthreaded processors (linux sees 4 processors) and 1GB ram.  I also have
pretty fast SCSI disks.

I perform no updates or deletes on my indexes.

The indexing process equally divides the work amongst the indexers.  The
bottleneck of the indexing process is not memory or CPU, rather disk IO of 6
writers.  If I had faster disks, I could create more indexers.