Hi All;

I have hit a snag in my Lucene integration and don't know what to do.

 My company has a content management product. Each time someone changes the
 directory structure or a file with in it that portion of the site needs to
 be re-indexed so the changes are reflected in future searches (indexing
must
 happen during run time).

 I have written a Indexer class with a static Index() method. The idea is
too
 call the method every time something changes and the index needs to be
 re-examined. I am hoping the logic put in by Doug Cutting surrounding the
 UID will make indexing efficient enough to be called so frequently.

 This class works great when I tested it on my own little site (I have about
 2000 file). But when I drop the functionality into the QA environment I get
 a locking error.

 I can't access the stack trace, all I can get at is a log file the
 application writes too. Here is the section my class wrote. It was right in
 the middle of indexing and bang lock issue.

 I don't know if the problem is in my code or something in the existing
 application.

 Error Message:
 ENTER|SearchEventProcessor.visit(ContentNodeDeleteEvent)
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Start Indexing new content.
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Index Folder Did Not Exist. Start Creation Of New
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update comparisions
 |INFO|INDEXING ERROR: Unable to index new content Lock obtain timed out:

Lock@/usr/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/temp/lucene-398fbd170a5457d05e2f4d432
 10f7fe8-write.lock
 |ENTER|UpdateCacheEventProcessor.visit(ContentNodeDeleteEvent)

 Here is my code. You will recognize it pretty much as the IndexHTML class
 from the Lucene demo written by Doug Cutting. I have put a ton of comments
 in a attempt to understand what is going on.

 Any help would be appreciated.

 Luke

 package com.fbhm.bolt.search;

 /*
  * Created on Nov 11, 2004
  *
  * This class will create a single index file for the Content
  * Management System (CMS). It contains logic to ensure
  * indexing is done "intelligently". Based on IndexHTML.java
  * from the demo folder that ships with Lucene
  */

 import java.io.File;
 import java.io.IOException;
 import java.util.Arrays;
 import java.util.Date;

 import org.apache.lucene.index.Term;
 import org.apache.lucene.index.TermEnum;
 import org.pdfbox.searchengine.lucene.LucenePDFDocument;
 import org.apache.lucene.demo.HTMLDocument;

 import com.alaia.common.debug.Trace;
 import com.alaia.common.util.AppProperties;

 /**
  * @author lshannon Description: <br
  *   This class is used to index a content folder. It contains logic to
  *   ensure only new or documents that have been modified since the last
  *   search are indexed. <br
  *   Based on code writen by Doug Cutting in the IndexHTML class found in
  *   the Lucene demo
  */
 public class Indexer {
  //true during deletion pass, this is when the index already exists
  private static boolean deleting = false;

  //object to read existing indexes
  private static IndexReader reader;

  //object to write to the index folder
  private static IndexWriter writer;

  //this will be used to write the index file
  private static TermEnum uidIter;

  /*
   * This static method does all the work, the end result is an up-to-date
 index folder
  */
  public static void Index() {
   //we will assume to start the index has been created
   boolean create = true;
   //set the name of the index file
   String indexFileLocation =
 AppProperties.getPropertyAsString("bolt.search.siteIndex.index.root");
   //set the name of the content folder
   String contentFolderLocation =
 AppProperties.getPropertyAsString("site.root");
   //manage whether the index needs to be created or not
   File index = new File(indexFileLocation);
   File root = new File(contentFolderLocation);
   //the index file indicated exists, we need an incremental update of the
   if (index.exists()) {
    Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: An index folder exists at: " +
 indexFileLocation);
    deleting = true;
    create = false;
    try {
     //this version of index docs is able to execute the incremental
     // update
     indexDocs(root, indexFileLocation, create);
    } catch (Exception e) {
     //we were unable to do the incremental update
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING ERROR: Unable to execute incremental update "
         + e.getMessage());
    }
    //after exiting this loop the index should be current with content
    Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Incremental update completed.");
   }
   try {
    //create the writer
    writer = new IndexWriter(index, new StandardAnalyzer(), create);
    //configure the writer
    writer.mergeFactor = 10000;
    writer.maxFieldLength = 100000;
    try {
     //get the start date
     Date start = new Date();
     //call the indexDocs method, this time we will add new
     // documents
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Start Indexing new content.");
     indexDocs(root, indexFileLocation, create);
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Indexing new content complete.");
     //optimize the index
     writer.optimize();
     //close the writer
     writer.close();
     //get the end date
     Date end = new Date();
     long totalTime = end.getTime() - start.getTime();
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: All Indexing Operations Completed in "
         + totalTime + " milliseconds");
    } catch (Exception e1) {
     //unable to add new documents
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING ERROR: Unable to index new content "
         + e1.getMessage());
    }
   } catch (IOException e) {
    Trace.TRACE("INDEXING ERROR: Unable to create IndexWriter "
      + e.getMessage());
   }
  }

  /*
   * Walk directory hierarchy in uid order, while keeping uid iterator from
 /*
   * existing index in sync. Mismatches indicate one of: (a) old documents
 /*
   * be deleted; (b) unchanged documents, to be left alone; or (c) new /*
   * documents, to be indexed.
   */

  private static void indexDocs(File file, String index, boolean create)
    throws Exception {
   //the index already exists we do an incremental update
   if (!create) {
    Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Incremental Update Request Confirmed");
    //open existing index
    reader = IndexReader.open(index);
    //this gets an enummeration of uid terms
    uidIter = reader.terms(new Term("uid", ""));
    //jump to the index method that does the work
    //this will use the Iteration above and does
    //all the "smart" indexing
    indexDocs(file);
    //this will be true everytime the index already existed
    //we are not going to delete documents that are old
    if (deleting) {
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Deleting Old Content Phase Started. All
 Deleted Docs will be listed.");
     while (uidIter.term() != null
       && uidIter.term().field() == "uid") {
      //basically we are deleting all the document we have
      // indexed before
      Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Deleting document "
        + HTMLDocument.uid2url(uidIter.term().text()));
      //delete the term from the reader
      reader.delete(uidIter.term());
      //go to the nextfield
      uidIter.next();
     }
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Deleting Old Content Phase Completed");
     //turn off the deleting flag
     deleting = false;
    }//close the deleting branch
    //close the enummeration
    uidIter.close(); // close uid iterator
    //close the reader
    reader.close(); // close existing index

   }
   //we go here is the index already existed
   else {
    Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Index Folder Did Not Exist. Start Creation
Of
 New Index");
    // don't have exisiting
    indexDocs(file);
   }
  }

  private static void indexDocs(File file) throws Exception {
   //check if we are at the top of a directory
   if (file.isDirectory()) {
    //get a list of the files
    String[] files = file.list();
    //sort them
    Arrays.sort(files);
    //index each file in the directory recursively
    //we keep repeating this logic until we hit a
    //file
    for (int i = 0; i < files.length; i++)
     //pass in the parent directory and the current file
     //into the file constructor and index
     indexDocs(new File(file, files[i]));

   }
   //we have an actual file, so we need to consider the
   //file extensions so the correct Document is created
   else if (file.getPath().endsWith(".html")
     || file.getPath().endsWith(".htm")
     || file.getPath().endsWith(".txt")
     || file.getPath().endsWith(".doc")
     || file.getPath().endsWith(".xml")
     || file.getPath().endsWith(".pdf")) {

    //if this is reached it means we were in the midst
    //of an incremental update
    if (uidIter != null) {
     //get the uid for the document we are on
     String uid = HTMLDocument.uid(file);
     //now compare this document to the one we have in the
     //enummeration of terms.
     //if the term in the enummeration is less than the
     //term we are on it must be deleted (if we are indeed
     //doing an incrementatal update)
     Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Beginnging Incremental update
 comparisions");
     while (uidIter.term() != null
       && uidIter.term().field() == "uid"
       && uidIter.term().text().compareTo(uid) < 0) {
      //delete stale docs
      if (deleting) {
       reader.delete(uidIter.term());
      }
      uidIter.next();
     }
     //if the terms are equal there is no change with this document
     //we keep it as is
     if (uidIter.term() != null && uidIter.term().field() == "uid"
       && uidIter.term().text().compareTo(uid) == 0) {
      uidIter.next();
     }
     //if we are not deleting and the document was not there
     //it means we didn't have this document on the last index
     //and we should add it
     else if (!deleting) {
      if (file.getPath().endsWith(".pdf")) {
       Document doc = LucenePDFDocument.getDocument(file);
       Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Adding new document to the existing
 "
           + doc.get("url"));
       writer.addDocument(doc);
      } else if (file.getPath().endsWith(".xml")) {
       Document doc = XMLDocument.Document(file);
       Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Adding new document to the existing
 "
           + doc.get("url"));
       writer.addDocument(doc);
      } else {
       Document doc = HTMLDocument.Document(file);
       Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Adding new document to the existing
 "
           + doc.get("url"));
       writer.addDocument(doc);
      }
     }
    }//end the if for an incremental update
    //we are creating a new index, add all document types
    else {
     if (file.getPath().endsWith(".pdf")) {
      Document doc = LucenePDFDocument.getDocument(file);
      Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Adding a new document to the new index: "
          + doc.get("url"));
      writer.addDocument(doc);
     } else if (file.getPath().endsWith(".xml")) {
      Document doc = XMLDocument.Document(file);
      Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Adding a new document to the new index: "
          + doc.get("url"));
      writer.addDocument(doc);
     } else {
      Document doc = HTMLDocument.Document(file);
      Trace.TRACE("INDEXING INFO: Adding a new document to the new index: "
          + doc.get("url"));
      writer.addDocument(doc);
     }//close the else
    }//close the else for a new index
   }//close the else if to handle file types
  }//close the indexDocs method

 }