> That's the point: there is no query optimizer in Lucene.

Sorry, I'm not very much into Lucene's internal Classes, I'm just telling your
the viewpoint of a
user. You know my users aren't technicians, so answers like yours won't make
them happy.
They will only see that I randomly don't allow them to search (with the 1024
limit). They won't
understand why am I displaying "Please restrict your search a bit more.." when
they've just
searched for "dodge AND vip*" and there are only a few documents mathcing this
criteria.

So, is the only way to make them able to search happily by setting the max.
clause limit to
MaxInt?!