My Lucene application includes multi-faceted navigation that does a more
complex version of the below.  I've got 5 different taxonomies into
which every indexed item is classified.  The largest of the taxonomies
has over 15,000 entries while the other 4 are much smaller. For every
search query, I determine the best small set of nodes from each taxonomy
to present to the user as drill down options, and provide the counts
regarding how many results fall under each of these nodes.  At present I
only have about 25,000 indexed objects and usually no more than 1,000
results from the initial query.  To determine the drill-down options and
counts, I scan up to 1,000 results computing the counts for all nodes
into which these results classify.  Then for each taxonomy I pick the
best drill-down options available (orthogonal set with reasonable
branching factor that covers all results) and present them with their
counts.  If there are more than 1,000 results, I extrapolate the
computed counts to estimate the actual counts on the entire set of
results.  This is all done with a single index and a single search.

The total time required for performing this computation for the one
large taxonomy is under 10ms, running in full debug mode in my ide.  The
query response time overall is subjectively instantaneous at the UI
(Google-speed or better).  So, unless some dimension of the problem is
much bigger than mine, I doubt performance will be an issue.

Chuck

Is
  > >there some other way to get this kind of information from the
search
  > >result set?  My other ideas are: doing a separate search each
result
  > >type, or storing different types in different indexes.  Any
  > >suggestions?  Thanks for your help!
  > >
  > >-Chris

  > >For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]