Field names are stored in the field info file, with suffix .fnm. - see
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/fileformats.html

The .fnm should be inside the .cfs file (cfs files are compound files
that contain all index files described at the above URL).  Maybe you
can provide the code that causes this error in Bugzilla for somebody to
look at.  Does it consistently break?

Otis