Lucene does support stemming, but that is not what your example requires
(stemming equates "roaming", "roam", "roamed", etc.).  For stemming,
look at PorterStemFilter or better, the Snowball stemmers in the
sandbox.  For your similar word list, I think you are looking for the
class FuzzyTermEnum.  This should give you the terms you need, although
perhaps only those with a common prefix of a specified length.
Otherwise, you could develop your own algorithm to look for similar
terms in the index.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER------------------------------

  > Information contained in this E-MAIL and any attachments are
  >
  > confidential being  proprietary to SOFTPRO SYSTEMS  is 'privileged'
  >
  > and 'confidential'.
  >

  > If you are not an intended or authorised recipient of this E-MAIL or
  >
  > have received it in error, You are notified that any use, copying or
  >
  > dissemination  of the information contained in this E-MAIL in any
  >
  > manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited. Please delete it
immediately

  > and notify the sender by E-MAIL.
  >

  > In such a case reading, reproducing, printing or further
dissemination

  > of this E-MAIL is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
  >

  > SOFTPRO SYSYTEMS does not REPRESENT or WARRANT that an attachment
  >
  > hereto is free from computer viruses or other defects.
  >

  > The opinions expressed in this E-MAIL and any ATTACHEMENTS may be
  >
  > those of the author and are not necessarily those of SOFTPRO
SYSTEMS.