Interesting, what are your merge settings, which JDK are you
using?(there are big differences between versions). Have you tried with
hyperthreading turned off on #2? - if so did it fare any differently?

Regards,
John

Sanyi wrote:
| Hi!
|
| I'm testing Lucene 1.4.2 on two very different configs, but with the
same index.
| I'm very surprised by the results: Both systems are searching at about
the same speed, but I'd
| expect (and I really need) to run Lucene a lot faster on my stronger
config.

| Config #1 (a notebook):
| WinXP Pro, NTFS, 1.8GHz Pentium-M, 768Megs memory, 7200RPM winchester
|
| Config #2 (a desktop PC):
| SuSE 9.1 Pro, resiefs, 3.0GHZ P4 HT (virtually two 3.0GHz P4s), 3GByte
RAM, 15000RPM U320 SCSI
| winchester
|
| You can see that the hardware of #2 is at least twice better/faster
than #1.
| I'm searching the reason and the solution to take advantage of the
better hardware compared to the
| poor notebook.
| Currently #2 can't amazingly outperform the notebook (#1).
|
| The question is: What can be worse in #2 than on the poor notebook?
|
| I can imagine only software problems.
| Which are the sotware parts then?
| 1. The OS
| Is SuSE 9.1 a LOT slower than WinXP pro?
| 2. The file system
| Is reisefs a LOT slower than NTFS?
|
| Regards,
| Sanyi

| For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please note that emails to, from and within RTÉ may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act 1997 and may be liable to disclosure.