Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

1. yes
2. yes error, meaningful, it depends what you find meaningful :)
3. searcher will still find the document, unless you close it and
reopen it (searcher)

... What about LockException? I tried to index objects in a thread and to use a IndexSearcher
to search objects, but I have had problems with this.
I tried to create a new IndexSearcher object if the index version was changed, but unfortunately
I got some Lock Exceptions and FileNotFound Exceptions.

If the answer number 3. is correct, then why did I get these exceptions.

Sergiu

Otis

--- "Zhang, Lisheng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I have an urgent question about thread safety in lucene,
from lucene doc and code I could not get a clear answer.

1. is Searcher (IndexSearcher, MultiSearcher ..) thread
   safe, can multi-users call search(..) method on the
   same object at the same time?

2. if on the same object, one user calls close( ) and
   another calls search(..), I assume we should have a
   meaningful error message?

3. what would happen if one user calls Searcher.search(..),
   but at the same time another user tries to delete that
   document from index files by calling IndexReader.delete(..)
   (either through two threads or two separate processes)?

A brief answer would be good enough for me now, thanks
very much in advance!

Lisheng