On Dec 6, 2004, at 4:53 AM, Chris Fraschetti wrote:
My lucene implementation works great, its basically an index of many
web crawls. The main thing my users complain about is say a search for
"slashdot" will return the
http://www.slashdot.org/soem_dir/somepage.asp as the top result
because the factors i have scoring it determine it as so... but
obviously in true search engine fashion.. i would like
http://www.slashdot.org/ to be the very top result... i've added a
boost to queries that match the hostname field, which helped a little,
but obviously not a proper solution. Does anyone out there in the
search engine world have a good schema for determining root websites
and applying a huge boost to them in one fashion or another? mainly so
it appears before any sub pages? (assuming the query is in reference
to that site) ...

Consider applying the boost to the Document, rather than the field, at index time. I assume each document in your index represents one page. At indexing time you know whether it is a root page or not, right?