Hello John,

I believe you didn't get any replies to this.  What you are describing
cannot be done using the public, but maaay (no source code on this
machine, so I can't double-check that) be doable if you use some of the
'internal' methods.

I don't have the need for this, but others might, so it may be worth
developing a tool that purges Documents marked as deleted without the
expensive segment merging, iff that is possible.  If you put this tool
under the approprite org.apache.lucene... package, you'll get access to
'internal' methods, of course.  If you end up creating this, we could
stick it in the Sandbox, where we should really create a new section
for handy command-line tools that manipulate the index.

Otis