On Tuesday 21 December 2004 05:49, aurora wrote:
> I'm testing the rebuilding of the index. I add several hundred documents,
> optimize and add another few hundred and so on. Right now I have around
> 7000 files. I observed after the index gets to certain size. Everytime
> after optimize, the are two files roughly the same size like below:
>
> 12/20/2004  01:57p                  13 deletable
> 12/20/2004  01:57p                  29 segments
> 12/20/2004  01:53p          14,460,367 _5qf.cfs
> 12/20/2004  01:57p          15,069,013 _5zr.cfs
>
> The index total index is double of what I expect. This is not always
> reproducible. (I'm constantly tuning my program and the set of document).
> Sometime I get a decent single document after optimize. What was happening?

Lucene tried to delete the older version (_5cf.cfs above), but got an error
back from the file system. After that it has put the name of that segment in
the deletable file, so it can try later to delete that segment.

This is known behaviour on FAT file systems. These randomly take some time
for themselves to finish closing a file after it has been correctly closed by
a program.

Regards,
Paul Elschot