Hello

I encoutered a problem when i tried to index large document collections
(about 20 mio documents).
The indexing failed with the IOException:

"Cannot delete deletables"

I tried different times (with the same document collection) and allways
received the error, but after a different number
of documents.

The exception is thrown after failing to delete the specfied file at
line 212 in FSDirectory.java.
I found the following cure:

after the lines
>   if (nu.exists())
>      if (!nu.delete()){

i replaced
>   throw new IOException("Cannot delete " + to);

with
>        while(nu.exists()){
>            nu.delete();
>            System.out.println("delete loop");
>            try {
>                Thread.sleep(5000);
>            } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>                throw new RuntimeException(e);
>            }

That is, now i retry deleting the file until it is successful.

After the changes, i was able to index all documents.

>From the fact that i observed several times

  "delete loop"

on the output console, it can be deduced that the
body of the while loop was reached (and left) several times.

I am running lucene on windows xp.

Regards
Thilo