On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Joseph Ottinger wrote:
> > SHouldn't Lucene warn the user if they do something like this?
>
> When a user indexes a null?  Or attempts to write to the index from two
> different IndexWriter instances?
>
> I believe you should get an NPE if you try index a null field value?
> No?

Well, I'd agree - the lack of an exception was rather disturbing,
considering how badly it destroyed Lucene for the application (requiring
not only restart but cleanup as well.)

I don't know Lucene well enough to say "according to the code..." but NOT
adding the null managed to correct the problem entirely.