-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Luke Shannon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Verzonden: maandag 10 januari 2005 15:46
Aan: Lucene Users List
Onderwerp: Re: what if the IndexReader crashes, after delete, before
close.

>>One thing that will happen is the lock file
>>will get left behind. This means when you start
>>back up and try to create another Reader you will
>>get a file lock error.

I have figured out that part the hard way ;) Why can`t I access my index
anymore?? Ahh.. The lock file

>>Our system is threaded and synchronized.
>>Thus when a Reader is being created I know
>>it is the only one (the Writer comes after
>>the reader has been closed). Before creating
>>it I check if the Index is locked. If it is,
>>I forcefully clear it. This prevents the above
>>problem from happening.

You can have more than 1 reader open at anytime. Even while a delete or
add is in progress. But you can`t use a reader where documents are
deleted (IndexReader) and added(IndexWriter) at the same time. If you
don`t have other threads doing delete/add you won`t have to synchronize
anything.

And how do you synchronize on it? I have applied the ReadWriteLock From
Doug Lea`s concurrency library after I have build my own
synchronization brick and somebody pointed out that I was implementing
the ReadWriteLock. But at the moment I don`t do any synchronization.

And I want to have a component that is executed if the system is started
and knows that to do if there is rubbish in the index directory. I want
that component to restore my index to a usable version (and even small
loss of information is acceptable because everything is checked once and
a while. And user-added-information is going to be stored in the
database. So nothing gets lost. The index can be rebuild..

Luke