: > ...which prompts me to wonder, how do people do this (ie: configure
: > lockDir such that processes on seperate physical computers respect
: > eachothers locks) without using NFS?
:
: There is a system property that controls where the lock files are
: written:
:
:       http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head
: -59be30838bbb5692e605384b5f4c2f224f3dfa6f

Um, yeah.  I'm actually the one that added that FAQ answer last week :)

My question is: Given the assertion that it's not safe to keep lock
files on an NFS partition, what mechanism do/would/should people use to
enable two applications running on seperate physical machines to use the
same lock file directory?

(this question is based on the understanding that unless the applications
are sharing the same lock directory, and index may be corrupted by
concurrent modifications, correct?)

-Hoss