Hello Ashley,

You can read/search while modifying the index, but you have to ensure
only one thread or only one process is modifying an index at any given
time.  Both IndexReader and IndexWriter can be used to modify an index.
 The former to delete Documents and the latter to add them.  You have
to ensure these two operations don't overlap.
c.f. http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=concurrent

Otis