Peter Hollas wrote:
Currently we can issue a simple search query and expect a response back in about 0.2 seconds (~3,000 results) with the Lucene index that we have built. Lucene gives a much more predictable and faster average query time than using standard fulltext indexing with mySQL. This however returns result in score order, and not alphabetically.

To sort the resultset into alphabetical order, we added the species names as a seperate keyword field, and sorted using it whilst querying. This solution works fine, but is unacceptable since a query that returns thousands of results can take upwards of 30 seconds to sort them.

Are you using a Lucene Sort? If you reuse the same IndexReader (or IndexSearcher) then perhaps the first query specifying a Sort will take 30 seconds (although that's much slower than I'd expect), but subsequent searches that sort on the same field should be nearly as fast as results sorted by score.

Doug