How about XML-RPC/SOAP, or REST?

For REST, just have a servlet listening for HTTP Gets and respond with XML that
your PHP app can parse (for searching). For indexing, let's say you want to
index an uploaded file, construct a URL with the fields and field values, and
also pass the location of the file on the FS. Shouldn't be that difficult.

I'm guessing its more desirable to have all your code in one place, which is an
advantage to using Java in PHP. But it feels cleaner to have the Java stuff in
one codebase and the PHP in another. May make debugging easier. No idea how
widely used the PHP-Java binding is.