On Feb 8, 2005, at 10:37 AM, sergiu gordea wrote:

Hi Erik,

I'm not changing any functionality. WildcardQuery will still support leading wildcard characters, QueryParser will still disallow them. All I'm going to change is the javadoc that makes it sound like WildcardQuery does not support leading wildcard characters.

Erik

From what I was reading in the mailing list there are more lucene users that would like to be able to construct sufix queries.
They are very usefull for german language, because it has many long composite words , created by concatenation of other simple words.
This is one of the requirements of our system. Therefore I needed to patch lucene to make QueryParser to allow SufixQueries.

Now I will need to update lucene library to the latest version, and I need to patch it again.
Do you think it will be possible in the future to have a field in QueryParser, boolean ALLOW_SUFFIX_QUERIES?

I have no objections to that type of switch. Please submit a path to QueryParser.jj that implements this as an option with the default to disallow suffix queries, along with a test case and I'd be happy to apply it.