Are you creating new IndexSearchers or IndexReaders on each search?  Caching
your IndexSearchers has a dramatic effect on speed.

David Townsend

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Celona [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 18 February 2005 15:55
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Search Performance

What is single handedly the best way to improve search performance?  I have
an index in the 2G range stored on the local file system of the searcher.
Under a load test of 5 simultaneous users my average search time is ~4700
ms.  Under a load test of 10 simultaneous users my average search time is
~10000 ms.    I have given the JVM 2G of memory and am a using a dual 3GHz
Zeons.  Any ideas?

Michael