Hi chris,

I'm responsible for the webshots.com search index and we've had very
good results with lucene. It currently indexes over 100 Million
documents and performs 4 Million searches / day.

We initially tested running multiple small copies and using a
MultiSearcher and then merging results as compared to running a very
large single index. We actually found that the single large instance
performed better. To improve load handling we clustered multiple
identical copies together, then session bind a user to particular server
and cache the results, but each server is running a single index.

Bryan McCormick