[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Does this happen frequently?  Like Stanislav has been asking... what sort of
operations on the index cause the document number to change for any given
document?

Documents are only re-numbered after there have been deletions. Once there have been deletions, renumbering may be triggered by any document addition or index optimization. Once an index is optimized, no renumbering will be performed unril more deletions are made.

If the document numbers change frequently, is there a
straightforward way to modify Lucene to keep the document numbers the same for
the life of the document?  I'd like to have mappings in my sql database that
point to the document numbers that Lucene search returns in its Hits objects.

If you require a persistent document id that survives deletions, then add it as a field to your documents.

Doug