You can try Luke
http://www.getopt.org/luke/

-----Original Message-----
From: Srimant Mishra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:39 PM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: How to manipulate the lucene index table

Hi all,

         I have a web-based application that we use to index text
documents as well as images; the indexes fields are either
Field.Unstored or Field.Keyword.

         Currently, we plan to modify some of the index field names. For
example, if the index field name was DOCLOCALE, we plan to break it up
into two fields: DOCUMENTTYPE and LOCALE. Since, the index files that
lucene creates have become quite big (close to 1 gig), we are looking
for a way to be able to read the index entries and modify them via a
standalone Java program.

Does lucene provide any APIs to read these index entries and update
them? Is there an easy way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Srimant