Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change
notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Add link to original template.  Flesh out
"Relationships" section, add stubs for "Apache Brand", "Salaried Devs",
"Affiliations"..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

  ## page was renamed from GraduationPlan
+
+ For reference, see the original template at
[http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html]
+
  == Abstract ==

  A short descriptive summary of the project. A short paragraph, ideally one
sentence in length.
@@ -114, +117 @@

  === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

+ All three initial committers associated with the project for several years
across multiple jobs.
- A project dominated by salaried developers who are interested in the code
only whilst they are employed to do so risks its long term health.
-
- Apache is about people, not corporations. We hope that developers continue to
be involved with Apache no matter who their current employer happens to be.
-
- This is a right place to indicate the initial balance between salaried
developers and volunteers. It's also good to talk about the level of commitment
of the developers.
- Example (OpenJPA): Most of the developers are paid by their employer to
contribute to this project, but given the anticipation from the Java community
for the a JPA implementation and the committers' sense of ownership for the
code, the project would continue without issue if no salaried developers
contributed to the project.
-
- Example (River): It is expected that Jini development will occur on both
salaried time and on volunteer time, after hours. While there is reliance on
salaried developers (currently from Sun, but it's expected that other company's
salaried developers will also be involved), the Jini Community is very active
and things should balance out fairly quickly. In the meantime, Sun will support
the project in the future by dedicating 'work time' to Jini, so that there is a
smooth transition.
-
- Example (Wicket): None of the developers rely on Wicket for consulting work,
though two - Martijn and Eelco - are writing Wicket In Action (publisher
Manning) in their spare time. Most of the developers use Wicket for their day
jobs, some for multiple projects, and will do so for a considerable while as
their companies (specifically Topicus, Cemron and Teachscape) choose Wicket as
their development framework of choice.

  === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

- Apache projects should be open to collaboration with other open source
projects both within Apache and without. Candidates should be willing to reach
outside their own little bubbles.
+ When Lucy was conceived, we envisioned that our eventual sub-communities
(Perl, Ruby, etc) would approach using and extending the library in distinct
ways, and that we would be able to harness the creative tension between the
different cultures to drive innovation.  Lucy and Lucene have that kind of a
relationship today, and multiple significant novelties have either
cross-pollinated or arisen while discussing competing approaches.  (e.g. object
conservation during indexing, per-segment search.)

+ Still, Lucy is a loose port and its core differs in fundamental ways from
that of Lucene.  The biggest difference is that for Lucy, "the OS is our JVM":
Lucene Searcher objects build up optimized data structures at search-time in
process RAM, while Lucy writes its data structures to disk at index-time and
reads them via memory-mapped IO at search-time.  This affords Lucy several
advantages, such as fast process launch, low process RAM requirements, and OO
design flexibility because Lucy's "cheap Searcher" objects are lightweight,
thin wrappers around the system IO cache.
- This is a an opportunity to talk about existing links. It is also the right
place to talk about potential future links and plans.
-
- Apache allows different projects to have competing or overlapping goals.
However, this should mean friendly competition between codebases and cordial
cooperation between communities.
-
- It is not always obvious whether a candidate is a direct competitor to an
existing project, an indirect competitor (same problem space, different
ecological niche) or are just peers with some overlap. In the case of indirect
competition, it is important that the abstract describes accurately the niche.
Direct competitors should expect to be asked to summarize architectural
differences and similarities to existing projects.
- Example (OpenJPA): Open JPA will likely be used by Geronimo, requires some
Apache products (regexp, commons collections, commons lang, commons pool), and
supports Apache commons logging.
-
- Example (River) Currently the only tie to Apache projects is the starter
kit's use of the Ant build tool. There are potential future ties (http server,
database backend, etc)that will be explored.

  === A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

- Concerns have been raised in the past that some projects appear to have been
proposed just to generate positive publicity for the proposers. This is the
right place to convince everyone that is not the case.
+ Lucy's past sins:

- This is also the right place to build bridges with the community after past
misdemeanors (for example, if any of those associated with the proposal have -
in the past - sort to associate themselves with the Apache brand in factually
incorrect ways) and promise good conduct for the future.
- Example (CeltiXfire): While we expect the Apache brand may help attract more
contributors, our interests in starting this project is based on the factors
mentioned in the Rationale section. However, we will be sensitive to
inadvertent abuse of the Apache brand and will work with the Incubator PMC and
the PRC to ensure the brand policies are respected.
+   * Failed to release early and often.
+   * Failed to build community.

+ Proposal is intended to address those deficiencies.
- Example (Wicket): The ASF has a strong brand, and that brand is in itself
attractive. However, the developers of Wicket have been quite successful on
their own and could continue on that path with no problems at all. We are
interested in joining the ASF in order to increase our contacts and visibility
in the open source world. Furthermore, we have been enthusiastic users of
Apache from the earliest hour (remember JServ anyone?), and feel honored at
getting the opportunity to join the club.
-
- Example (OpenJPA): We think that Open JPA is something that will benefit from
wide collaboration, being able to build a community of developers and
committers that outlive the founders, and that will be embraced by other Apache
efforts, such as the Geronimo project.

  == Documentation ==

@@ -222, +207 @@

  == Affiliations ==

+ Marvin Humphrey is employed by Eventful, Inc and works primarily on this
project.
- Little bit of a controversial subject. Committers at Apache are individuals
and work here on their own behalf. They are judged on their merits not their
affiliations. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, it is useful for any
current affiliations which may effect the perceived independence of the initial
committers to be listed openly at the start.
-
- For example, those in salaried positions whose job is to work on the project
should list their affiliation. Having this list helps to judge how much
diversity exists in the initial list and so how much work there is to do.
-
- This is best done in a separate section away from the committers list.
-
- Only the affiliations of committers on the initial bootstrap list are
relevant. These committers have not been added by the usual meritocratic
process. It is strongly recommended that the once a project is bootstrapped,
developers are judged by their contributions and not by their background. This
list should not be maintained after the bootstrap has been completed.

  == Sponsors ==