On 2010-07-26, at 12:33, Brock Palen wrote:
> I know the lustre kernel has some patches to MD in there.
> We have some x4500 and x4540 that we run lustre 1.6.x on as servers.  We
> currently use raid5 plus spares.  We were wondering about reshaping them into
> raid6 by taking in the spare.
>
> Reading online this appears doable with recent version of mdadm which because
> we are on rhel4 for servers we do not have.  I didn't know if this ability
> was in the lustre kernel, if we build the newer mdadm.

I don't think that our RAID patches take out any functionality, but we have
never tested this.  I also have no idea about whether the newer mdadm has all
of the functionality in the kernel that it needs, unless you are taking the
Lustre RHEL5 kernel + RHEL5 mdadm, and just have RHEL4 userspace.  That would
hopefully be OK, since I doubt if mdadm cares about anything else in userspace,
just the kernel.

I'd be sufficiently leery of this (even w/o Lustre patches involved) that I'd
make a backup of each OST before starting the reshaping.  That way, you don't
need to have a backup of the whole filesystem at one time, just the one or two
OSTs that are currently undergoing reshaping.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Lustre Technical Lead