On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 07:28:22AM -0600, Kevin Van Maren wrote:
>You are running 1.8.5, which does not have the fix for the known MD raid5/6
>rebuild corruption bug.  That fix was released in the Oracle Lustre 1.8.7
>kernel patches.  Unless you already applied that patch, you might want to run
>a check of your raid arrays and consider an upgrade (at least patch your
>kernel with that fix).
>
>md-avoid-corrupted-ldiskfs-after-rebuild.patch in the 2.6-rhel5.series (note
>that this bug is NOT specific to rhel5).  This fix does NOT appear to have
>been picked up by whamcloud.

as you say, the md rebuild bug is in all kernels < 2.6.32
  http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=130192650924540&w=2

the Whamcloud fix is LU-824 which landed in git a tad after 1.8.7-wc1.

I also asked RedHat nicely, and they added the same patch to RHEL5.8
kernels, which IMHO is the correct place for a fundamental md fix.

so once Lustre supports RHEL5.8 servers, then the patch in Lustre
isn't needed any more.

cheers,
robin
--
Dr Robin Humble, HPC Systems Analyst, NCI National Facility