> On Jan 9, 2017, at 4:21 AM, Markham Benjamin <ben.mark...@xiilab.com> wrote:
>
> I was wondering the use cases of using Lustre on Hadoop. One key things about
> HDFS is that it runs on commodity hardware. Unless I’m being misinformed,
> Lustre doesn’t exactly run on commodity hardware.

I don’t think you want to use Lustre on Hadoop. You would want to use Hadoop on
Lustre (i.e. - Lustre replaces HDFS).

And Lustre does run on commodity hardware.  Sites usually run Lustre on generic
x86_64 servers.  I know some that use Dells, and I am using Appro/Cray blades.
Sometimes sites will use more specialized storage hardware (like DDN or
NetApp), but that is not required for Lustre.

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator