I would be very grateful if you could help me to plan my upgrade.
Our lustre file system size is about 190TB. Our mgs/mds/oss servers are quite old. OS is SL6 and lustre version is 2.1.3. Lustre clients version is 2.5.3. We'll plan to upgrade servers to the latest stable version (2.9.0). At that time we want to turn on quotas (now they are turn off).

Questions:
1) Can we upgrade Lustre from 2.1.3 to 2.9.0 at one step and turn on quotas at the same step? 2) Plan B: Can we upgrade operating system on one oss server (from SL6 to Centos7), turn on old lustre on this server, and then step by step upgrade all servers. After upgrade operating systems on all servers and turning on old lustre it is possible to upgrade lustre version on all servers safely? 3) We can't make backup all data - only mdt device can be backed up. Is it possible to lose all our data? What is the best way to prevent loosing data in our case?

Any advice would be appreciated.

With regards,
Ekaterina