On one of our filesystem, we add a few new OSTs almost every month with no
downtime, this is very convenient. The only thing that I would recommend is to
avoid doing that during a peak of I/Os on your filesystem (we usually do it as
early as possible in the morning), as the added OSTs will immediately an heavy
I/O load, likely because they are empty.

Best,

Stephane