On Mar 24, 2023, at 13:20, Bertschinger, Thomas Andrew Hjorth
<bertschin...@lanl.gov<mailto:bertschin...@lanl.gov>> wrote:

Thanks, this is helpful. We certainly don't need the auto-split feature and
were just experimenting with it, so this should be fine for us. And we have
been satisfied with the round robin directory creation so far. Just out of
curiosity, is the auto-split feature still being actively worked on and
expected to be complete/production-ready within some defined period of time?

Nobody is currently working on directory split.  There are a number of other
DNE optimizations that are underway (mostly internal code, locking, and
recovery improvements without much "visible" to the outside world).

The main feature in progress on the metadata side is the metadata writeback
cache (WBC) that will greatly improve single-client workloads in a single
directory tree (e.g. untar and then build/process files in that tree).   That
should help significantly with genomics and machine learning workloads that
have this kind of usage pattern.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger