> Instead, my recommendation would be to use an ext4 filesystem image to hold
> the many small files (during create, if from a single client, or aggregated
> after they are created). Later, this filesystem image could be mounted
> read-only on multiple clients for access. Also, the whole image file can be
> archived to tape efficiently (taking all small files with it, instead of
> keeping a stub in Lustre for each file).
>
> The use of loopback mounting image files from Lustre already works today, but
> needs userspace help to create and mount/unmount them. There was some
> proposal "Client Container Image (CCI)" on how this could be integrated
> directly into Lustre. Please see my LUG presentation for details (maybe 2019
> or so?)

Would squashfs files be a good alternative to this?  The user space tools
already exist.  We have a couple of workflows here that create a lot of small
files and we are using squashfs to aggregate those files for the purposes of
archival and to reduce the metadata burden on our lustre filesystem.

  • [... Sven Willner
    • ... Patrick Farrell via lustre-discuss
      • ... Andreas Dilger via lustre-discuss
        • ... Sven Willner
          • ... Andreas Dilger via lustre-discuss
            • ... Vicker, Darby J. (JSC-EG111)[Jacobs Technology, Inc.] via lustre-discuss
              • ... gael.delb...@cea.fr