Thank you very much Andreas.

Your explanation was very insightful.

I do have the following questions/thoughts:

Let's say I have 2 available OSTs, and 4MB of data. The stripe-size is 1MB. (Sizes are small for discussion purposes, I am trying to understand what solution -if any- would perform better in general)

I would like to compare the following two strategies of writing/reading the data:

A) I can store all the data in 1 single big lustre file, striped across the 2 OSTs.

B) I can create (e.g.) 4  smaller lustre files, each consisting of 1MB of data. Suppose I place them manually in the same way that they would be striped on strategy A.

So the only difference between the 2 strategies is whether data is in a single lustre file or not (meaning I make sure each OST has a similar load in both cases).

Then:

Q1. Suppose I have 4 simultaneous processes, each wanting to read 1MB of data. On strategy A, each process opens the file (via llapi_file_open) and then reads the corresponding data by calculating the offset from the start. On strategy B each process simply opens the corresponding file and reads its data. Would there be any difference in performance between the two strategies ?

Q2. Suppose I have 1 process, wanting to read the (e.g.)  3rd MB of data. Would strategy B be better, since it avoids the overhead of "skipping" to the offset that is required in strategy A ?

Q3. For question 2, would the answer be different if the read is not aligned to the stripe-size? Meaning that in both strategies I would have to skip to an offset (compared to Q2 where I could just read the whole file in strategy B from the start), but in strategy A the skip is bigger.

Q4. One concern I have regarding strategy A is that all the stripes of the file that are in the same OST are seen -internally- as one object (as per "Understanding Lustre Internals"). Does this affect performance when different, but not overlapping, parts of the file (that are on the same OST) are being accessed (for example due to locking)? Does it matter if the parts being accessed are on different "chunk", e.g 1st and 3rd MB on the above example?

Also if there are any additional docs I can read on those topics (apart from "Understanding Lustre internals") to get a better understanding, please do point them out.

Thanks again for your help,

Apostolis