   From: WALSH STUART <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   To: "lute-builder@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute-builder@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, 16 October 2014, 11:35
   Subject: [LUTE-BUILDER] beginner's question - simple rose for
   four-course guitar?
   I'm having a go at making a simple, basic  four-course guitar. I'm not
   having any success at all in making a simple inset rose but I'd rather
   not leave the sound hole empty.
   As well as wood, I tried something that a local art shop sells as'
   parchment' but it's very difficult to use and impossible to clean up.
   So
   far, the roses I've tried to make have either broken or split or look
   so
   clumsy
   that it would be far better to simply have have an empty sound hole.
   I have David Van Edward's lute-making CD rom... but that explains how
   cut a rose directly into the soundboard itself and anyway, is far too
   difficult for me at this stage.
   I wouldn't know how to re-grind chisels or any kind of metal.
   Stuart
   ---
   protection is active.