   From: Jon Murphy <j...@murphsays.com>
   To: Paul Daverman <daverman.p...@sbcglobal.net>;
   lute-builder@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Saturday, 24 January 2015, 11:49
   Subject: [LUTE-BUILDER] Re: Lute top finish/treatment
   I haven't worked with lutes for a long time, and should probably drop
   off the list - but I like reminiscing <g>). I'll venture an answer, I
   do
   work still work with harps. Wood is never dead until it petrifies, it
   always takes in or gives off moisture depending on the environment
   (humidity and temperature). If you don't treat it at all it will be
   more
   susceptible to the changes in atmospheric conditions, but if you seal
   it
   then it can't "breathe". I wasn't familiar with the Stand Oil that
   Martyn mentions, but just Googled it and see it is a pure linseed oil
   heat treated. That fits my criteria. You mention a beeswax concoction,
   am familiar with them from my wood turnings as I make several
   "concoctions" for different purposes. The beeswax concoctions at the
   simplest are a mixture of pure beeswax and generic mineral oil - but
   could be mixed with a vegetable oil (like linseed or tung). The tung
   adds color, the linseed doesn't.
   Your purpose in treating your sound board (the lute top) is to maintain
   its flexibility and sound production. The lute, like the guitar and
   violin (each to a greater or lesser extent) produces its sound in
   combination with the enclosed body of the instrument. The function of
   the sound board is somewhat modified by the nature of the transmission
   of string vibrations through a bridge over which the several strings
   are
   in contact with the sound board. That sounds gratuitious, but the harp
   that I deal with is quite different. The sound transmission of the harp
   is almost entirely from the vibrating strings in air, the function of
   the sound board (top), which is under tension from each string, is to
   pass the sympathetic vibrations from one string to another by direct
   vibration. The bridged instruments, like the lute, separate the sounds
   and produce the fullness in the body and top by combining them there.
   I could put a sealing finish on a harp sound board (athough I wouldn't,
   it would reduce the sound a bit), but not on a bridged instrument. The
   sealant stiffens the soundboard and it is a part of the sound in a
   bridged instrument.
   I think you should treat the sound board (the lute top) on both sides.
   wouldn't use a varnish, it soaks in but hardens. I certainly wouldn't
   use a shellac as it is a surface coat and stops the breathing (although
   I do use a home made shellac compound with mineral oil for some
   pieces).
   You want something that allows the "living" wood fibers to absorb or
   give off the moisture, but not too fast. If you use a pure oil, like
   the
   Stand Oil, you would want to refresh it now and then..
   Here is a pure speculation, and I leave it open to suggestions. A
   gentle
   sealant like one of the beeswax (or other wax/oil) concoctions for the
   underside of the sound board and a pure oil for the topside. Inhibit
   the
   drying of the internal wood cells through the internal body, but don't
   block it. Once the instrument is built you can't change the finish on
   the inside. Use an oil on the topside, and reuse it.
   Best, Jon