I want try making a simplified mandore. I can't 'do' lute ribs and a
   lute body and I can't carve from the solid so it will have to be
   flat-backed. It will be an instrument with similar proportions to a
   mandore...but with no  historic precedent, of course.

   I intend to use some of the measurements that appear in Ian Pittaway's
   blog on Paul Baker's sophisticated  reconstruction of a little mandore.

   As a beginner I want something as straightforward as possible for the
   neck-body conjunction. No fancy tenons!

   There seem to be two basic (I do mean basic) approaches. See

   [1]http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/neckbody.jpg

   The approach A, (from a set of instructions for building a cittern kit
   which I got in a second hand bookshop - without the kit, of course) has
   a butt joint and a screw (could have been a nail or dowels). T he neck
   is made  separately  from the union of sides and top block and bottom
   block. I know that some guitars in the past have been made like this.
   English guitars were made like this and I'm sure that other instruments
   have used this approach.

   On the other hand, approach B, and seemingly simpler, is to build a
   neck with the top block as part of the neck. Although more complicated
   than in this little diagram, most or many guitars are built like this.

   I would welcome any advice as to which is the more straightforward way
   to conjoin neck and body. B looks simpler but there must be good
   reasons for A.

   thanks for nay advice

   Stuart