Hi Daniel, et al

Point taken regarding digital media going out of date.  I was not
suggesting relying on lute-tablature saved this way.  Merely to print ones
own legible paper copy to perform from, with as much of the ornamentation
as can be gleaned from the original, even if it happens to be only an old
photo-copy.

I entirely agree that printed editions should remain as a primary source,
if that is what you have.  These should be kept as pristine as possible and
used for reference only.  These will then retain their value for the
lute-players of the future.  So, if one has the facility to make a personal
performing copy, (which may last only a few years).  The life of ones
published lute-books has therefore been greatly extended.

In a few more years, technology will have replaced today's tab-setting
programs.  Hopefully, the books and microfilms will still be around to
enable other performing-copies to be made with whatever media is available
in the future.

I am sorry to hear that CD's are already becoming obsolete to the equipment
now being made for them.  It seems the simplicity of vinyl/bakelite has won
the day.

PS. Many thanks David.  Your comment is exactly what I was trying to say.

BTW. Were I a student, I would love to encourage my local university to
stock some good Minkoff, SPES etc. edtions.  Unfortunately, Loughborough
University teaches only Sport and Engineering, and I am way past being a
student!

Living right in the middle of the UK, I must be at least 100 miles from a
University featuring (early) music in their curriculum.  Notably Leeds,
London, Oxford and Cambridge.  If there are other universities in the UK
with samples of early music in their libraries.  These should be checked
for published lute-tablature editions and their addresses listed for the
benefit of all lute-players in the UK.  Then we would know how far and in
which direction to look for a particular source.

In the UK 100 miles is a long way
In the US 100 years is a long time!

Best Wishes

Ron (UK)