That's my point.
Andi Schlegel showed to an interested audience at the lute days in
Basel fotos of the restauration process of one of his early lutes
(giorgina - I'm a great fan of this instrument).
you can clearly see what they did to that pour instrument. It was
converted into a guitar. A "supporting" bass barring was added, a new
bridge was glued on the soundboard and holes for the strings (as on
parlor guitars) were made.

G. Houcken documented the restauration process - maybe a good idea to
ask either G. Houcken or Andi Schlegel if they could contribute to
the JLSA with photoes and/or their experiences.

Best wishes
Thomas