> in performance. The best assumption one can make of his time, and many
> things previous, is that people haven't changed that much.

Indeed, and conscientious professionals were hopefully just as eager to do
their job well as they are now. So they would be  practising and practising
untill it was good enough for stage performance. We learn not to
underestimate our audiences, but we should not underestimate the performers
either. I can teach you to play a simple lute accompaniment, like the Willow
Song has, in a year. Given that musical schooling was part of an actor's
curiculum, I'd say he was competent enough for the job.

David