From: "Chapman, Christopher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 6:41 PM
Subject: Lute version of "Three Ravens"?

> Hi Folks,
>
> Does anyone know of lute tablature (or indeed, any harmonized
version)
> of the song "Three Ravens"?
>

> Thanks,
> Christopher

E-mail to the Lute Net on 8th May 2001:

"The Three Ravens" appears in Thomas Ravenscroft's _Melismata_
(London,
1611), No. 20. There is a facsimile edition of all three books (i.e.
_Pammelia_ (1609), _Deuteromelia_ (1609), and _Melismata_ (1611))
ed.
Tristram P. Coffin, Publications of the American Folklore Society,
vol. 12
(Philadelphia: The American Folklore Society, 1961).

The song presents various editorial problems:

1) Accidentals. There are a few e's without flats in the upper
parts. (Only
the Bassus has flats marked.) Are they meant to be flat, or does
Ravenscroft
intend a modal e natural? There is also an f natural in the Treble
part
towards the end, which many would think should be sharp. Again, it
is
possible that Ravenscroft wanted a flattened leading note. As far as
I know
there are no other contemporary sources of the song to offer
guidance. My
preference is to put in the accidentals.

2) Words. There are only some words for the lowest three voices, to
wit
"Downe hey downe", etc. The implication for me is that, although the
accompanying voices could be vocalised (e.g. hummed or solfa-ed), I
think
they should be played on viols. It is not only the lack of words
which makes
me think this, but also the odd melodic intervals, and the fact that
the
Medius crosses the Treble in bar 3.

3) What to do with the lute. Should one slavishly try to duplicate
the
lowest parts as Ravenscroft has them, or should one adapt them to
make them
more playable on the lute. My instinct is to go for the latter,
because
otherwise some odd effects arise, e.g. parallel fourths, which are
not as
convincing on the lute as they would be on viols.

Anyway, this is what I've come up with. As usual, the tablature is
to be
read in a mono-spaced font like Courier. Rhythm signs are notated
numerically: 1=quaver, 2=crotchet; 6=dotted minim, etc.

 2   3  1 2            4     3  1
__________a__d___c__a________d__c_a_d_c_a___
_a_|_a____a____|_b__a__e___|_a____________|_
___|_b__d_b____|____b__a___|__________d___|_
___|___________|___________|_c__a_________|_
___|___________|_a_____c___|______d_______|_
_a_|_a____a____|____a_____________________|_

 3  1 2                   4    2       6   2
____a__________________________a_______c_______
_e____e____|_a_____a__c_|_d__________|_a___d_|_
_a____a__a_|_b__d_____b_|_a____d_____|_____a_|_
___________|_c________c_|_a_______c__|_b_____|_
_c____c____|____________|______d_____|_c_____|_
___________|____________|____________|_______|_

 2                  4        2      3  1 2
_d__a_______|_d________|_a______a_|_a______a_|_
_b_____d__b_|_a__b__d__|_b___a____|______a___|_
____________|_a________|_c______c_|_b__c_____|_
____________|__________|__________|_c______c_|_
_d__________|__________|__________|__________|_

 3   1           2     4
_d___c_a______________________
_a_____b_a_____|____a__a___||_

I hope this is of use. Please let me know if it works. I assume from
your
posting that you already have the words. Please let me know if you
haven't.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.