Dear Eugene,
                   I don't know if you're naive or not, but your opinion is
to be heard as any other.

Dear Eugene,
                   I don't know if you're naive or not, but your opinion is
as interesting as any other. Thanks for your comments.
One thing: when I mentioned that I was looking for Vallet's pieces in
digital format, I didn't know that there was a cheaper alternative to
Minkoff in facsimil.
In any case, I didn't say: let's burn Minkoff's office in Geneva and kill
their family. I've said that the prices were unfair to me, and I guess I do
have the right to say that without being attacked.

> -if an activity is legal, feel free to do it (if its morality is suspect,
> you're old enough to decide for yourself whether or not you should feel
> guilty afterwards);
> -if an activity is not legal, do not do it;
> -if you feel a law is unjust or contrary to social values, strive to
change
> it in favor of breaking it.

This is again, a matter of values. If I believe that any law is unfair,
apart from trying to change that, I would consider breaking them as well, if
I believe that would help to bring a substantial change in the direction
pointed by my moral values (again).

> Of course, I am not referring to conducting the business of life under an
> oppressive, tyrannical regime; I am discussing the use of copyrighted
> material.  Access to printed lute music is not an unalienable human
> right.  Like it or not, music is not bread...or freedom.  If some book is
> too expensive or published by a company against which you hold some
> perceived morality gripe, there are plenty others that are not.  Choose
> them and influence the market by voting with your dollars.  If this makes
> access to some material more involved and time consuming, so be it; all
the
> originals are in public domain and most should be accessible through
proper
> channels.

-Access to printed music, for us musicians, should be an unalienable right,
because we live from making music. Also, I would say that you cannot
separate so easily items, normally everything function with the same logic
within the same system.
As nowadays access to the manuscripts isn't so easy to get in many places,
we can't easily speak about public domain.
In many cases there are no alternatives to expensive editions, as you might
know.
In the other hand, I've said a few times that I do buy the books with
reasonable prices, from the first email I wrote about this subject.

I have too many friends who are struggling to eke out a meager
> existence through the sale of copyrighted stuff (mostly recorded music) to
> disrespect the laws that protect them.

I do, as many other musicians, recordings for small-medium labels trying to
survive selling copyrighted stuff. Their crisis is not caused by the smart
people making copies of their production, although I personally wouldn't
copy their cd's. but I wouldn't go mad if I see any copy of a record of mine
at someone's collection.

 Best,
Ariel.