At 04:23 PM 10/12/2003 -0500, BobClair or EkkoJennings
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>despite 30 years of experience with computers and 50 years experience
>speaking English, I find
>myself unable to parse the following phrase:
>
> > Polyhymnion is a stupid pretension to a simple Internet function

Why don't you take a look at the page in question:

http://polyhymnion.org/superdirectory.html

As far as I can tell, it is, at best, a list of links to pages by people
who are approved by Roman Turovsky as having an acceptable level of
intelligence, culture, philosophical this or that, or qualify to his world
view of himself as an elitist super hero of culture. In short, a list of
Roman Turovsky's own list of sycophants.

There is nothing particularly unusual for a list like that, and there are
virtually thousands like it on the Internet. What I find obnoxious, and a
discharge of hot air, is the pretension, enunciated by RT several times in
this group and elsewhere, that being listed on that page somehow relegates
the listee to a special status of excellence.

I would posit that whatever excellence any one of those listed has is
entirely independent of the fact that they are listed by Roman Turovsky.

 >  a "simple Internet function" remains a mystery,

Nothing as complicated as your extensive parsing would show.  I have only
19 years of experience with computers, mainly as a user, and only 48 years
experience with the English language, my third language. If my statement
was not clear, I hope the above commentary would satisfy your curiosity.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226