Ed,

You are asking two questions - I'm on PC, so I can't help much on Mac, but
you might be able to transfer what I'm about to type:

A) .tar and .gz files are zip formats, which can be unzipped on PC with
WinZip or WinRAR (and probably many other things).  I don't understand why,
but I have to unzip .tar.gz to give me a .tar, which needs unzipping again
to get to the goodies inside.

B) Once you have your .abc file, things don't get much easier.  There may be
a better way, but what I do is:

1) put the .abc files into the same directory as abctab2ps.exe
2) go into DOS and find the directory
3) on the command line enter:-                abctab1~ [infile].abc
4) This will give me a file out.ps in postscript format.

I imagine that if I did   abctab1~ [infile].abc [outfile].ps I could do a
series of conversions without overwriting out.ps.

In other words, and I would imagine that this is the same on Mac, you need
to use it from the command line.

Good luck,

Tony