FROM:   Matanya Ophee, INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
DATE:   10/13/03 5:02 PM
Re:     Re: MO's attacks

<<snip>>

MOrphee wote<><><><>Unfortunately for him and for his misguided predatory
philosophy, that is  far from being the case. We should be grateful to him
and his ilk for the  fact that the Franko University Library in Lviv, the
Ukraine, refuses to  allow anyone to have copies of the Lviv Manuscript or
even to acknowledge  its existence. Do prove me wrong, if you
can.<><><><><>

The L'vov (or Lwow) Manuscript, Ms 1400/I in the Ivana Franko Naucnaja
Biblioteka is well known in the west. .  It has 124 folios and 66 pieces.
Most of it was copied by Hans Kernstockh in Cracow around 1555, and
includes fantasias and dances by Giovanni Pacoloni, and a galliard attr. to
Valentin Bakfark, some Polish songs and dances and lots of intabulations of
French chansons, etc. .
Paul O"Dette has even programed pieces from it.  The Bakfark piece is in
Benko's collected edition. It is probably best called the Kernstock Lute
Book, but is also officvcially known as the Strzeskowsky Lute Book after a
recent owner, who published some Polish pieces from it.

A few months ago someone told me that he had refereed a paper that
discussed the Pacoloni dances in that manuscript.  Perhaps we'll read about
it in one of our journals. There are microfilms of it circulating in the
west, allthough I don't have a copy myself.  I think someone even told me
that there is a facsimile edition published in Poland.  It's not a terribly
exciting manuscript in my opinion.

It also contains Dowland's "Farewell Fantasia," although neither the title
nor the composer are named in the manuscript.  Someone published the
Dowland fantasia in a string orchestra arrangement made from the Kernstockh
tablature, but the arranger didn't know that the piece was by Dowland. I
forget what title they gave it.

One reason for confusion about the manuscript is because there are so many
names for that city, Lvov, now in the Ukraine.  Pohlman lists the
manuscript under Lemberg, the Austrian  name for Lwow, the Polish name for
Leopolis, the Latin name for that place.  At various times it has been part
of Austria, Germany, Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine, and has had to battle
off assaults by Turks, Tartars, Cossacks, and Swedes.  Sounds like a city
with a sadly violent history.

I don't understand why M. Orphee thinks that Roman Turovsky "and his ilk"
(=???) should be blamed because the Franko library doesn't answer its mail.

I find it difficult to believe that the library denies owning the
manuscript, it has been cited so frequently.  In addition to Pohlmann, the
manuscript is also listed in Boetticher's RISM inventory, in the Meyer et
al. catalogue of lute manuscript in the former East Bloc countries, and
probably in my article in New Grove.

ajn.
<>